Alex is a barrister in our arbitration team and has a practice focusing on complex contractual disputes. Since moving to Dubai, he has advised a large number of both local and international clients in high value arbitrations and DIFC Court cases. These have included significant commercial disputes, real estate disputes, and a wide variety of construction disputes, including representing subcontractors, main contractors and developers in the UAE construction sector.
Alex assists his clients in arbitrations in a number of regional and international centres, including the ICC, DIFC-LCIA and DIAC. Alex also regularly advises clients on the enforcement of arbitration awards in local and DIFC Courts and regularly represents clients in a wide variety of DIFC Court proceedings, including regarding interim relief and appellate proceedings. Alex is one of our lawyers who holds full rights in front of both the ADGM and DIFC courts.
Admitted to the Bar in England and Wales, Alex received his Bachelors of Law from the University of Bristol, UK, and the BPTC from Kaplan Law School.
Alex's recent experience includes:
- Advising and representing a multi-national contractor in a Geneva seated ICC arbitration valued at over AED 100 million. The arbitration was brought by a sub-contractor in respect of a planned high-value and prestigious project based in Dubai. The case centered on the interpretation and legal effect of the payment provisions between the parties, when the sub-contractor would become entitled to payment, and whether the sub-contract works were completed.
- Successfully representing a major real estate developer in emergency arbitration proceedings concerning a high-profile mixed-use project in Dubai. The emergency proceedings had been commenced by the main contractor who requested a variety of specific performance orders following the encashment of performance bonds after the contract had been terminated.
- Advising and representing a commercial entity in an ICC arbitration in respect of an international dispute concerning the sale of a petro-chemical plant, where the combined value in dispute exceeds AED 250 million.
- Advising and representing a major real estate developer in a Dubai seated DIAC arbitration regarding a sale-purchase contract dispute in the UAE valued at over AED 12.5 million and successfully securing the dismissal of the case on jurisdictional grounds.
- Advising and representing a multi-national contractor with a significant presence within the UAE, in Dubai seated ICC proceedings. The case concerns two related fit-out contracts for a prestigious hotel development in Dubai. Proceedings were commenced following the successful attachment of a performance bond and revolve around the alleged unlawful termination of the client’s contract, delay, correct valuation of the works and outstanding payments.
- Advising and representing a renowned international real estate developer, operating through an SPV, in proceedings challenging the enforcement of an arbitration award in the DIFC Courts, in connection with a construction dispute on a large and prestigious property development.
- Advising and representing a multi-national specialist contractor in steel fabrication and construction, in DIAC proceedings, concerning a large and prestigious development in Dubai against a well-known multi-national main contractor. The dispute concerns causation/responsibility for delay, entitlement to de-scope works under certain conditions of the contract, correct valuation of the works and entitlement to various additional subcontractor claims.
- Advising and representing two related developers in DIAC proceedings, concerning requests for urgent interim awards providing for the removal of a main contractor who refused to vacate the construction site after their termination.
- Advising and representing a major multi-national contractor in the DIFC Courts, in which our client successfully obtained an interim injunction restricting payment out of a performance bond and ordered the withdrawal of the call.